The Materials Manager provides leadership and training for the Warehouse department. This position manages several functional areas including inventory management, repairs, returns, purchasing, customer consignment, and warehousing. Examines existing procedures or opportunities for streamlining activities to meet product distribution needs. Directs the movement, storage, levels, and processing of inventory.
- Manages and oversees warehouse activities and staff, including shipping, receiving, picking, and cycle counting.
- Determines appropriate staffing levels to load, unload, move, and store materials.
- Provides and coordinates training for all warehouse employees.
- Writes and documents standardized training procedures to be followed by all employees.
- Creates and generates reports related to all functional areas of the warehouse department, including inventory management.
- Oversees purchasing functions related to inventory management; manages a team of Buyers.
- Establishes levels of inventory according to min/max system.
- Manages activities related to strategic purchasing, material requirements planning, controlling inventory, warehousing, and receiving.
- Oversees repairs and returns process.
- Responsible for managing the replenishment of and stock agreements for the consigned inventory program.
- Works in conjunction with customer service, sales, and accounting to resolve issues related to customer orders, invoices, shipping, stocking agreements, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, inventory management, warehousing, and coordination of people and resources.
- Knowledge of a variety of computer software applications, especially Microsoft Excel and Word programs.
- Knowledge of enterprise resource planning (ERP) software (Microsoft Dynamics preferred).
- Knowledge of inventory management software.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Proven track record of effective leadership and management.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE:
- This position requires a Bachelor’s degree in business management, logistics, supply chain management, or related field.
- This position requires a minimum of five to seven years of experience in warehousing, inventory management, supply chain management; or any equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.